To prepare this huevos rotos recipe, simply fry potatoes and onions and top with lightly sautéed Paisa Chistorras or and fried eggs. Before serving don’t forget to break the eggs and let the yolks RUN FREE.
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 4 ounces chistorra sausage
- 5 large eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally. When the onions are soft and transparent, in about 8 minutes, remove them from the pan and reserve them on a plate.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into "fries." Heat all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Salt the potatoes and fry them. When the potatoes are done, remove them from the pan and divide among four bowls and keep them warm.
- While the potatoes are frying, slice the Paisa Chistorras. Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a small frying pan and sauté them. Remove the sausage and set aside.
- Sprinkle chistorras and sautéed onions evenly over fried potatoes in bowls.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up in a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Lightly cook them in the same frying pan and oil as the sausage was cooked. Place one to two eggs per bowl and serve hot.
Don’t forte to break up the eggs right before serving. Accompany the huevos rotos with warm slices of a fresh rustic-style bread.